Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Plain Bearing in dirty conditions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobil

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2005
US
I have an application that pivots no more than 3°, but has a high exposure to dirt and water. The loading is reasonable and almost entirely radial. However, there is some impact loading.

I would normally use a loose fitting hardened steel bushing and grease daily with a lithium based grease not considering the extreme environment.

Perhaps my corrosion and wear concerns are unnecessary given the minimal amount of pivot.

Is there a better choice than a greased hardened bushing? I'm also trying to keep the cost down.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Limited rotation leads to the idea of knife edge bearings. Instead of seeking relative motion in a round bearing, seek movement between a rounded wedge and a mating groove. The trick is to make a nominal seal for this. A Forsheda lipped flex seal may work here.

With such a small angle of rotation, a rubber bushing may be a good choice. Lovejoy and Lord are some manufactures.
You did not specify load or size constraints, this is important design information to know.

Thank You for the quick and helpful replies to my question, this was my first time using this forum and with this success I will be back. All of the replies are ideas that I hadn't considered. I especially like the idea of the rubber bushing. If anyone has suggestions on vendors, types, etc. please add to the thread.

If I read you correctly your range of motion isn’t very good for roller bearings. Roller bearings are made to roll not oscillate in small arc. You invite all types of problems, fatigue, wear from lack of lube, and so on.

There is a type of support that is made for oscillating motion I try and find my information or someone may post it

Here is all the information on all types of bearing seals.
This is the home of the Foresheda seal as mentioned by plasgears

Actually the website Busak+Shamban is not just Forsheda products but all of Busak+Shamban, Forsheda (except pipe seals), Dowty Auto, Shamban Aerospace, Palmer Chenard, Variseal, Silcofab, Wills Rings, Stefa, V-Rings, etc.
THe link posted above is a good link and starting point for information in general and information from Busak+Shamban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back