Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planar Style Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechatroPro

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2008
IR
i'm using FreeStyle workbench and drawing a freestyle 3d curve on a plane is pretty easy. however if i want endpoints of my 3d curve to snap to edges of neighboring surfaces, it's not easy to keep it planar. they snap to the edge and are free to move along it. any suggestion how to keep 3dcurves planar in those situations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is is possible to use the plane of the planar curve to cut a section through the 2 surfaces? Connect to the end point of the section curves.

Regards,
Derek

I am not sure that it is necessary to use 3d curve for your case or not, but for me, if I can,I will create plane in 3d space first and sketch on that plane instead.

"they snap to the edge and are free to move along it." It meant you move the surface edge again or have to modify that surface later,right?

Use a construction curve, either planar that intersects the surface edge where wanted or curve on surface or edge curve; then snap the 3D curve to this curve using end condition desired ie tangency, contact etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back