Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plane perpendicular to axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

willeo

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2003
US
how do you create a plane perpendicular to an axis only in sw 2003? any hints appreciated. The help file does not use the same terminology as me if it is in there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you need to define a point on the axis. Create a sketch. Create a line colinear with the axis. Exit sketch. Then select insert plane, select the line and one of its endpoints. Select OK. Solidworks will create a plane perpendicular to the axis passing through the point.

Gool luck.

jevakil@mapdi.com

One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

ok, the 3d sketch line thing worked like a champ. Thank you, woulda taken me a while to figure that one out. The next one that is not in the book... I have a cylinder at an unknown compound angle, somewhere in space mated to a hole in a part imported from proE. The line of draw has to be " vertical", not at the compound angle, so I have to more or less " boss revolve a cylinder" to vertical so I get a tapered pin. I figure I can do a cut to get a flat face after I am done, can you revolve a cyliunder like that? never seen it mentioned in the book. I do have a plane perpendicular to the line of draw and an idea what I want, just have not found the trick yet.

I do believe that if you turn on temporary axes on, you can use them like lines (turn 'em off aftwards, of course) and insert a plan on a line at a point. If you want an end your are good to go, if you need somewhere else, you will have to make a sketch and insert a point, I think.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

You can use an axis the same as a line when creating a plane normal to an axis. The bug is that you can't preselect the axis and point. You need to first open the axis tool ("Insert --> Reference geometry --> Axis"), then select the "Point and surface" option and then you can pick your axis and point (or vertex). The point/vertex does not need to be coincident with the axis.

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

Thanks for the clarification, Tick. I knew I had done it before, but when I tried it out after my post I couldn't remember the trick.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back