Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLANES & AXIS DIMENSION 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper2

Specifier/Regulator
Jun 14, 2007
US
Hi all.

Monday...dont remind me..

I have a handle, like one that goes on a pot, with 2 holes to attach to pot.
Inserted axis into each hole, measures 18.5 from one to the other. Went to make a drawing - -both diamensions read 21. Added planes to the axis - - axis get 18. - planes read 21.

Whe are there different measurments for axis and planes when they are both in the same place?

What a day..

Thanks

Rip

SolidWorks 23007 Office Pro.SP 4.0
Compaq Presido 6000
Win XP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because it's Monday. Go home, put in a DVD and try again tomorrow.
When you're selecting the axis to measure, how/where are you selecting? Also, instead of inserting axis, try turning on your temporary axis (View->Temporary Axis).

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Thanks to all.

JMir - -dont think I did not think twice about taking your advice and going home cause its Monday!

Rip

SolidWorks 23007 Office Pro.SP 4.0
Compaq Presido 6000
Win XP

Same here!

I removed 'RIP' from the extension, but then received a "Seek failed on C\:Docum..........\P01BP323.SLDPRT" error.

A quick Google found a few hits about that error but most were related to a file size of >2GB. This file is only 572KB.

Ripper2009 ... Maybe try again but without modifying the extension.

[cheers]

MooLoad seems to have a really slow connection (~3kbs) today. It seems the download is timeing out and the file is only being partially downloaded. It should be 1.5MB but is coming in around 500KB.

Try one of the other hosting sites listed in the FAQ.

[cheers]

Rip,
The exact logic of why this is happening is evading me, but the differences are due to how the axis are being projected in order to be measured.

To get a clear picture of what is happening.

1) Create a sketch on the 'Top' plane.
Create 2 lines and make them coincident with the 2 axis
Dimension the angle between the lines
You get 21 degrees

2) Now create a plane that is the 'Top' plane rotated 32.5 degrees clockwise. (Perp to front plane and in-line with the 2 axis)
Create a sketch on this new plane
Create the 2 lines and make them coincident to the 2 axis.
Dimension the angle between the lines
You get 18 deg

I think your axis are essentially compound, so they have vectors in all directions. So, the angle between them depends on the angle of the reference plane that they are projected on. You vary the angle of the reference plane, you vary the angle between the axis.

Hope this helps,
Lou

CBL,
It took a little while, but eventually it downloaded from mooload. (I chose server 2 if it makes a difference)

I couldn't open the original file Rip posted, but the second one came in without any problems.

-Lou

Sorry Bli for the mix up. My error.I'll enter rehab next week.

Does anyone have an idea then what the problem is besides me being on drugs? LOL

Thanks,

Rip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back