Planetary Gearbox Backlash Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCobra

Mechanical
May 28, 2009
US
Hello,

I ran a search for this topic and could not find anything and AGMA 6023-A88 has next to no information on calculating backlash so here goes.

I am having a tough time determining backlash through a multiple stage planetary gearbox. The arrangement is as follows; the input stage uses the sun as input with a fixed ring gear. The second stage shares the same fixed ring and has a sun input attached to the input stage planet gear carrier. The output of the second stage is the carrier for the second stage planets which drives another gear set.

Here's where I am having trouble. I calculated the total transverse backlash (linear) for sun to planet and planet to ring for both planetary gear stages factoring in Total Composite Error and tooth thickness as advised in section 6.3.9.1 of AGMA 917-B97 as well as thermal affects. At this point I am trying to determine the total angular backlash through the gear train to the output.

I can convert to angular backlash for the first stage planet by dividing the transverse backlash by the first stage planet radius. From here how do I move to the carrier mounted sun and so forth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any additional information or clarification that I can provide let me know.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back