Planned vs. Actual

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDesigner09

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2010
US
Hi,

I'm trying to use MS Project 2007 & made a WBS, which demonstrates the 'planned' schedule fairly well. Now, how do I demonstrate or show the actual & compare the two through the Ghantt chart?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once your original planned program is agreed with all stakeholders, you then need to set the baseline. This holds your original as it is now.

Once done, you monitor your program (daily/weekly or what ever duration suits), and you enter your actual start, and when complete your actual finish dates.

I tend to enter these on the screen as per attached. You split your screen, click on more views (far left hand toolbar, bottom icon).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f953288a-2f07-4788-9a75-ffc809cb2e72&file=Program.pdf
If the scope changes increase the program duration you can then ammend your program (add new tasks/durations) and then save another baseline (name it rev1 for example).

I am in the construction area at the moment, and while you can argue most variations etc do impact on the program, reality is unless there is an extensive impact on the program - the end date never changes.

Hi Iken,

So, it appears that I need to have multiple baselines to be able to view planned vs. actual. Now, I need to go figure out on how to create multiple baselines.

Thanks

You set the baseline under Tools/Tracking/Set Baseline.

There is a pull down menu giving a number of baselines (1 to 10 +...)

I would only set a new baseline if you are intending to go for (or already have agreed) and extension of time. If the additional scope of works do not push pout your end date, to not bother. You could instead just have a side (mini) program for these additional works - if they do not impact the final end date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back