Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastic bearing- efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

thlights

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2003
US
I am looking into making a low-cost bearing from possibly plastic on plastic. It would need to support no axial thrust and very minimal radial loads. I'm thinking just an acetal ring with an acetal (or metal) shaft passing through it. Does anyone have information on calculating power loss in such a device (simple as it may be) as a function of friction coefficient, shaft diameter, shaft RPM, and ring ID?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shamban in California has a specialty in plastic bearings. They had three grades based on PV required the last time I used them. Efficiency is good. The one drawback is the need to build in more clearance than metallic plain bearings. They are made by injection molding, and concentricity may be an issue.

You should check out a company called Igus Inc. that specializes in the area of plastic sleeve bearings. These are called bearings but look much more like a bushing. These Igus bearings have some amazing qualities for a cheap bearing.

You can buy plastic ball bearings with either stainless steel, plastic or glass balls (depending on your requirements|) which will match the sizes of standard steel bearings.

Why waste time re-developing the same thing?

I would agree that IGUS are very good on plain plastic bearings, and very helpful.

Lester Milton
Telford, Shropshire, UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back