Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plastic hinges in a steel beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

krs2ball

Structural
May 10, 2010
CL
Hey everyone!

I'm modelling a steel beam (b=100cm, h=20cm, rectangular/lenght=6m) fixed supports at both ends

I'm trying to figure out where and how can i get ANSYS 12 to show me where the first plastic hinge makes its first appearence.

I did it manually, and i can figure out where should this happen, but it happens that I get stresses beyond yielding point.

I'm using a Bilinear kinematic hardening to introduce its curve (Fy=2,648e+008Pa).

What about the tangent modulus? I set it up at the same Yield stress Fy.

I beg for help, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not an expert...just try to help.
I would prefer using the "stress-true strain" curve (not engineering strain)...if you use Bilinear stress-strain curve..make sure the second slope is not zero.
then I will do a hand calculation to figure out about how much load is required when steel about to yield...
then I will load the beam step-by-step....it is up to you to use sub-step or multiply load steps...first apply the load to somewhere near where steel is going to yield...then increase load slowly step by step....and save result every step...
then you plot the load Vs deformation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back