Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastic Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightelf08

Civil/Environmental
Feb 20, 2013
US
Hi,
How do I find the column shear that corresponds to a full plastic moment developed in a column assuming the column is fixed at top and bottom? My column is a W 8x21.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not completely sure that I understand your question, but there is no general direct relationship between moment and shear. You can have high shear and low moment, and vice versa.

Not sure what you're after... but in the absence of any external forces along the member V = (M1 + M2)/L or it sounds like in your case V = 2Mp/L

Column being fixed is irrelevant if you are already assuming a full plastic moment.

do you mean you have a doubly cantilevered beam with a point load applied (= shear) ?

or do you have a column, fixed both ends, with both axial and transverse (= shear ?) loads ? ie beam-column

both cases are available in Roark, etc.

i gather from Dik's post that this section may not be stable in compression (class 1 = stable in compression) so crippling of the compression flange might be the critical compression stress.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

W8x21 is equivalent to metric W200x31 and is a Class 1 section for Fy = 350MPa or 50ksi.

A column fixed top and bottom subjected to a normal force applied at mid-height would require force P where PL/8 = Mp or P = 8Mp/L in which case shear = P/2 = 4Mp/L.

A column fixed at the bottom and free to translate but not to rotate at the top would require a shear of 2Mp/L to produce plasticity at each end (same as bookowski).

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back