Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Plastic texture

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianroth

Automotive
Nov 16, 2002
CA
How does everyone texture a plastic part in SW07? We have started to create quite a lot of plastic injection parts and I have no idea how to texture the particular surface other than change the visible appearance.

Perhaps I answered my own question as a texture most likely would not be able to be re-created.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW 2007 has pre-set textures for rendering according to the old texture books--but that's for rendering in PhotoWorks. Otherwise, there's not a way to model texture.

I normally split surfaces and color them differently according to where I need specific textures. These files go to the mold makers with call-outs on which surfaces have which texture (also drawings).

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Here is a thread1103-174973 We don't do a lot of photo rendering but when designing plastic parts you should be aware of surface texture call outs.

Our "off-shore" manufacture would prefer to use light EDM or machine surface texture because he's concerned with mold release. Molders and mold makers are a funny lot.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

dgowans,

I did not put any texture on that particular part. The client will most likely have the desired texture sculpted on with wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back