Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC AC Voltage Detector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

roro36

Electrical
Mar 23, 2011
ZA
Using an analogue input card with a plc, i want to know if you can sense the polarity of the AC mains? With a 240V phase to neutral voltage connected through a 15KOhm resitor, the current is limited to 16mA.Can the PLC then use this to determine when the Voltage value is in the positive/negative half cycle?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. It is possible with a fast enough PLC. But you have to make sure that there´s time to input the information, process it and react to it in the 8.3 or 10 milliseconds available. if you need any precision, I would look at a fast I/O board. It doesnt need to be analogue if you provide protection for the input pin. Your 15 kohms may need a zener as well. And probably a little higher resistance.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

A potentially more reliable approach is to use a PLL to lock the phase detection directly. Since a PLL essentially does a prediction/correction automatically, it could avoid the problems of threshold, noise immunity, etc.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

A PLL may need ten or twenty cycles to lock and stabilize. That may be a problem if you need to react quickly to presence of an AC voltage.
I do not know of any COTS PLL modules that can be installed in a PLC rack. Are there any?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

If you have a fast enough input card then a simple half-wave rectfier would allow you to sense whether the voltage was present or not during a half cycle.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back