Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLC software question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snorkles

Electrical
Oct 20, 2001
US
Situation: 7 year old, motor controlling, mitsubishi PLC has been very reliable. Electrician has installed hardware for monitoring (PC with GX developer). Unfortunatly the project copy which was on a floppy disk has been lost. Question: how does one retreive this project from the plc? AS I understand, we will need a copy of the project for the PC, prior to going online to-PLC, for monitoring ladder diagram etc.
Please advise,
"novice"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you can still upload the plc without comments. What you will have is a program that is undocumented.

I would go back on the company that originally wrote the program. Maybe they or someone they know has these files backup'd on their server.

If this does not get it. Then your have to look at the physical IO off of the prints document that IO then make up all the documentation yourself for all the functions in the program.

Which Mitsubishi PLC do you have? Some of them (A2A for sure) have the ability to store the instruction comments, etc. in the PLC processor.

You'll have lost the variable declarations and any comments that were in the original code.

The variable declarations for inputs and outputs can be easily recreated by looking at what's wired to each, but if the code is sufficiently complicated as to require the use of multiple internal bits as well, their purpose will be much more difficult to derive.

I don't expect that a PLC controlling a motor will have a very complicated program.

Controlsdude is right, that it's certainly worth trying to track down the original copy of the code from the vendor.

Best of luck.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back