Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help !.... After a guide to material types and uses.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim01018

Industrial
Feb 21, 2005
GB

I have scoured the web but to no avail...can someone help??!

Im after a guide which details different types of material grades and their typical applications. Mainly mild steels but other materials would be very handy...

If not, does anyone know which material would be best for a vertical drive shaft on a machine (no great loadings) i have either EN8 or EN16 in mind

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a guide take a look at it is a good for what you are looking for.

Now without knowing anything about the application I can not give you a good idea of what you should use for the shaft. Now when I design shafts I normally start with 1045 steel, it is typical shaft material for motors and gear boxes. EN8 is like a 1040 steel and would also be a good starting point. It is a starting point you need to look to see if it would fit your application.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Jim,
For typical applications of carbon, alloy, tool steels, etc., you might also check out Machinery’s Handbook. Materials therein are referred to by AISI (American Society of Steel & Iron) numbers. Here’s an excerpt from MH on shaft materials:
axle, 1045
cyanide-hardening, 5140
heavy-duty, 4340, 6150, 4615, 4620
oil-hardening, 5150
propeller, 2340, 2345, 4140
spline shafts, 1045, 1320, 2340, 2345, 3115, 3120, 3135, 3140, 4023
As already mentioned by MotorVib, 1045 looks like a good general-purpose choice. However, if welding is a possibility, go with something with a lower carbon content of course.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back