Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE HELP, NEED TO DESIGN CAN 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryopumps

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2004
US
My MBA friend is starting a company where he needs the following done:

A small can (about 1/5 the size of a coke can) that will be a two piece assembly (just like a coke can). This can will hold a certain type of product which does not need internal pressure but this can must be sealed indefinetly. He has asked me to help him because I am a Mechanical Engineer but do not know where to start. I dont know how coke cans are made and if making a small prototype can be done from sheet metal because of how complex it may be. Can someone please help me with where to start! Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible to get a Prototype made of a can. If not what do you recommend? How thick of sheet metal is a can made from? Since this is not holding a pressure but still must be two piece do you recomend using the same material for both ends? Would you seal in the same manner as a coke can is sealed or are there other methods?

Are there any corrosion concerns? If not then steel would work fine. They make cans that look just like Al pop cans out of steel.
Almost all cans have sealers on the inside. You need to make sure that it is compatable with your use.
The can style may be more a function of how you want to open it. Remember that pop cans are necked at the top. You can't fill them with a solid, only a liquid or powder that will pour.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Do you want to make the prototypes yourself? If you want to work with a can manufacturer, try:

You could use the same or different materials for the body and ends. For example, fruit containers use steel bodies and aluminium ends, while soft drinks usually use steel for both or aluminium for both.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Here is where it gets interesting:

The can is going to hold a certain type of tobacco. The purpose of the can is to do the following:

Hold the tobacoo and when the consumer gets the product he/she can peel off (that is what we have talked about) a tab or something and then underneath the tab will be a filter (or that part of the can will have many small holes) to allow heat from a flame to get to the tobacco. The other side will have a tab or something as well which will serve the same purpose but to allow the smoke to get out of the can. Our main concern is with the heat on the metal and how to manufacture a double ended tabed can. Should this be a three piece system? Any suggestions would be great.

I have seen filter cartriges that come in cans. The metal ends are both perferated. They are covered with adhesive backed foil covers to seal them. Both pieces of foil are removed and the can is loaded into the unit.
If it is going to be heated you will need to be careful about sealants/coatings.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

This sounds like a very simple design that should be three pieces. You should contact some can manufacturers and work with them - they may do prototypes for free. Regardless, they definitely can help you design this, using almost standard products (read: low cost).

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back