Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please suggest some thermodynamics books for PE exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devya22

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2012
US
Friends,
I am planning to give my PE exam in mechanical breadth with thermal and fluid systems. I am looking for some good books which I can use as study as well as reference material for PE exam. I will appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Devya22

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend the following books:
Cengel, Boles: Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach
Moran, Shapiro: Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics
Gicquel: Energy Systems: A New Approach to Engineering Thermodynamics

I would add to those three, "Design Analysis of Thermal Systems" by Robert F. Boehm, may I say not so academic, but suitable for those post-graduate/professional examinations, I guess. Study hard and good luck!

Unlike foxstar, i do not recommend Boehm book, unless you don't want to develop computer simulators of energy systems. But even if you want, this book is not necessary, and is outdated. If you are not a energy systems geek, it will be a waste of time for you. Cengel,Boles / Moran, Shapiro are great on merits of thermodynamics, although for me figures are infantile and not looking professional - but do not be influenced by the first look. Gicquel book is focused on describing work with a specific educational software, but anyway it has a great amount of modern engineering thermodynamics knowledge, basically about thermal energy systems.

Honestly, just buy the NCEES practice tests and the Lindburg books. The PE is about speed (knowing where to find what you need quickly) ... not knowledge. I have seen people bring a library full of books for the exam, yet EVERYTHING you need is in the Lindgurg reference book. You do NOT have time to derive the formulas. You are allowed to bring in worked out problems. You will be surprised at how many of the examples in the Lindburg and NCEES practice problems are IN THE TEST! Mind you, the numbers may be different, but all you will have to do is follow your worked out problems.

A PhD friend took the exam 5 times before he heeded my advice. Finally passed it last year. Good luck and study hard.

If you need recommended text/reference books for "Thermodynamics and Fluids" or any other specialty, you should probably pick another specialty to test for.

Take one of the various practice tests, and check if you need a refresher, more practical experience or some classes.

I just used my textbooks from college. And it's not like I've perused all the thermodynamics texts and picked out my favorite of them all. But seems like the thermo book I used was by Incropera and DeWitt, and I thought it was a pretty decent textbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back