Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLOT SCALING

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartens

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2001
CA
here is the problem I have data like so (see below) in length and hight and I need to plot this data in a line chart where the Y-Axis is scaled to the X-Axis. Such that if the X-Axis's scaled to 10meters per inch on paper that the Y-Axis's is scaled to 10meters per inch on paper. Thus one can see the scaled (true) profile.

data in METERS
Length Height
X - Axis Y-Axis
200 678
195 679
190 680.1
185 681.2
180 682
175 683.1
170 684.9
165 686.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think that Excel can do this.

Any CAD package probably could.

Should be possible via macro's - adjust graph scales to match requirements. If interested can write one up - no built in function that I know of in chart menu.

One trick is to plot a second series on the same graph, but colour it invisible. The series should consist of two points,
minx,miny and maxx,maxy

I thin this will work, but have not tried it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

If you can live with a chart which is scaled equally in both x and y directions, but you may not know the scale, then try this:

1. Make the chart

2. Set the scales to have the same number of units between min and max, e.g the x-axis goes from 160 to 210 (50 m), and the y-axis goes from 650 to 200 (also 50m).

3. Write this macro in a VBA module:

Sub Macro1()
ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select
Selection.Width = 250
Selection.Height = 250
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
End Sub

4. Select the chart on the worksheet and run the macro.

This way you will see the true scaled profile.

To make the chart larger, change the number 250 in the macro to a larger number instead of dragging the chart.

If you want to make sure that the (on paper) plotted chart is scaled to exactly one inch per meter, then you need to figure out how points correspond to pixels and how pixels correspond to an inch on the printed paper. I'm not sure how the first is done but the second is shown in the page setup for your printer.

Hope this helps
regards
Mogens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back