Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plotting data with equal scales 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark62

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2003
FR
Is it possible to force Excel to plot graphs with the same scale in both X and Y axis. In my case i am plotting the result af a catenary equation and both the X and Y axis represent linear distance. i would like to plot a true representation of this so that one metre is equally scaled for both axis. Currently I strech the graph and use a ruler on the screen. This seems to primative for such as powerful programme. When using Mathcad I can manage to scale the graphs correctly, However as I want to share this with non Mathcad users I will have to stick with Excel

Thanks

Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you put the chart on its own sheet the size and x - y relationship is fixed to the initial default settings. Then you only need select scale that match true size. Screen and hard copy may be different. Once you've done it you can copy and move the sheet then go back and drop in more data for the next one. Also, if you record your actions in a macro, no matter how crude your process to scale, you'll be able to push a button and get what you want.

Hi there:

The input from rnordquest should do it for you.

I would only add that one can always adjust the scale for X and Y and make sure that they are identical.

With a few iterations, you should get it right. Also, it is possible to create gif files from MS PowerPoint, for plots originally developed in MS Excel, so one can use plots in different computer applications.

Thanks,

Gordan, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back