Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLT files - How do i plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFL

Structural
Aug 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I have been asked many times to supply .plt files to architects so they can have a professional printer plot the drawings. How do i plot these same files if someeone else sends them to me?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

1. PRN files can be obtained when you select the "Print to File" option in the Print dialog. These PRN files are written by the printer driver in a language that can be interpreted by the given printer and you can
simply copy this file to the printer in the DOS prompt.

2. PLT files can be saved while you select "Plot to File" in the Plot dialog. These are HPGL2 files that you can simply copy to the printer in the DOS prompt.

Examples:
Sending a PRN/PLT file to a printer/plotter connected to the local LPT1 port:
copy /b filename.prn lpt1
or
copy /b filename.plt lpt1

Sending a PRN/PLT file to a printer/plotter shared on an ethernet network:
net use lpt2: \\server\designjet
copy /b filename.prn lpt2
net use lpt2: /delete

or
net use lpt2: \\server\designjet
copy /b filename.plt lpt2
net use lpt2: /delete

A good utility program here

Regards
Fernando

If you look up the help content on it, it says plt files are for dos commands. For printing at the dos command, using the file ext plt, dos can print the file without using autocad, though untried on my end. In theroy I would think it would be a way for anyone to print autocad drawings without needing autocad.

Alex
You need AutoCAD or similar CAD to create the .plt file in the first place. Then anyone can plot the .plt.
You cannot satisfactorily bring a .plt back into AutoCAD.
There is software to do it, but you will find that all intelligent information on polylines, dimensions, 3d information, blocks attributes etc has been lost. All you will have is lines and text in 2d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back