Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plug Flow Reactor Detailed Cooling Jacket Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

processendbd

Chemical
Jan 10, 2014
US
The reaction is highly exothermic.

The reactor is designed in such a way that heat can be removed from the catalyst. Otherwise, Ignition can happen.

So heat removal through jacket is major work in reactor design.

Now is there any software that can help me design the jacket surfaces are required? I want to rate the design with various BFW flowrate.

Can I use HTRI or EDR for detailed design?

I thought I cannot use them.

Does PFR usually require baffle like a conventional heat exchanger?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the catalytic reaction is highly exothermic, you should think to use a fluid bed reactor instead of fixed bed reactor. The heat transfer coefficient's changes at least 5 times.

For instance, Ethylene dichloride production (EDC) began in fixed bed reactors, after 2 years operating the fist EDC plant, BF Goodrich change to fluid bed reactors just to control the heat removal from the catalyst, it improve the quality of the EDC produced to set more stable process conditions.

Horacio

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

The reactor I was talking about may not use a fluidized bed as the fluid is poisonous to the catalyst.

From one old reference (attached below), I got the approximate reactor configuration. Which indicated the reactor tubes are cooled with counter-current cooling oil or BFW

Untitled_jwflin.png

I have also confirmed with a few of my industrial sources that it is the case.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back