PMA for ASME Carbon Steel Fittings and Flanges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchlam

Chemical
Oct 15, 2015
US
Dear all engineers,

Has anyone done the particular material appraisal, PMA, acc to PED, especially for ASME materials like A-105, A-106 grB A-234 WPB?

When we do the PMA for them, do I have to comply to content limitation for carbon, sulphur and phosphorus?

For example, the cast analysis for C% is about 0.3 max while the PED restricted it until max 0.23%. So can I say that I need to buy ASME materials like A-106 GrB with the C% at 0.23% as well?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PMA's, afaik, dont require such details. Look at this pdf for an example PMA by Lloyds, which specifies the requirements with reference to the relevant PED sections from the ESR's.

One thing Ive seen suppliers do is that when an MTR mentions a material complies with PED 97/23/EC, a PMA is not required (most materials are often multiple certified, e.g. to A312 TP 316/L and 10216-5 1.4404/1.4401 - same goes for carbon steel).

For pressure equipment that have to comply with PED and are fabricated from ASTM carbon steel materials like A 106 B, a 234 WPB, A 105, it is quit normal to order these materials with a limit on the Carbon content (0.23% max) and to mention this also on your PMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back