Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PMI, created on 3D model, associative to Drafting? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeschneider

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
Is it possible to import the PMI created while in Modeling (3D view), into the Drafting application?

I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Actually, can anyone please explain the "recommended" or "normal" process of using PMI to communicate manufacturing requirements to a machine shop, in lieu of conventional 2D drafting sheets?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the help files: "You can only inherit PMI onto one of the base view types (TFR-TRI, TOP, etc.). You cannot inherit PMI onto other drawing view types such as section, projected, or detail views"

In other words, make your base view the one with the PMI in it. If you have more than one, insert them as base views, not projections or sections, etc.

Here are at least the list of topics in the UGS NX 5 What's New document for PMI:

Inherit PMI onto drawings
Find PMI related to geometry
Section View
Multiple display instances
Report on all PMI types
Stacked PMI
Drag PMI
Datum feature symbols on faces
PMI export
PMI Property Tool

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

I am looking forward to trying NX5 out, John. Especially with the enhancements you listed. If you can "find PMI related to geometry", can you also find geometry related to PMI?

When you select a PMI object, the referenced geometry should highlight, at least it does in UGS NX 5.

BTW, if you have your 'webkey' you can go to our public website and under Support you can eitehr read online or download copies of the UGS NX 5 'What's New' document.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

You can also go to the Part Navigator and with the PMI 'node' displayed, you can select specific PMI objects and in the 'Dependencies' panel find its 'Parents', which when you select them, will of course highlight on the screen. Note that while my first comment above about selecting the PMI object which then highlights the referenced object, that only behaves that way when you're actually in the PMI module. However, finding the relationship via the Part Navigator can be done irrespective of what module you're in.

Also note that all this is supported in NX 4 as well.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Following up on inheriting of PMI, I am wondering what the recommended process to inherit GD&T onto a drawing is. I can succesfully inherit PMI, but for some reason my GD&T is not pulling through, even though I am doing the "MB3 > Style > Base > Inherit GDT In Drawing Plane"

I have a feeling this is something simple that I am just not getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back