Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PMI woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
NX 7.5: I just used PMI for the first time on three parts that I am making. I found it to be pretty straight forward, but my biggest concern is that I had to go through a lot of mouse clicks to get faces, etc, referenced or associated to the PMI dimension/note/callout. Is there a way that you can just click on a feature for example to associate that entire feature with a callout or dimension? Also, where are the ID symbol creation function and Insert Feature Parameters function in PMI, similar to what is in Drafting?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When using PMI, ID Symbols are created using 'Balloon Notes', which are a sub-type of the 'Note' item.

As for PMI feature call-outs for something like a Threaded or Countersunk Hole, this capability will be supported in the next version of NX (the one AFTER NX 8.5) which will be released later this year.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Good to know thanks John. It was the specific holes you mentioned giving me the most frustration to associate with the PMI. On the Balloon note however, how do I change the circle to a triangle, or square, or hexagon, etc?

Let me clarify, 'Balloon Notes' are limited to only 'Round' ID's (hence the use of the term 'Balloon'). At the moment, you'd need to use 'Custom Symbols' for non-circular ID symbols.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back