PN10, 16, 40 mating flanges according to EN 1092-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapadro

Electrical
Oct 4, 2017
DK
Hey guys,

I've looked around some other threads and other links that Google has spewed back at me, but I thought I'd double check with piping experts here.

It's a very simple query from a non-piping engineer (I'm automation). We have a tank with an EN 1092-1 nozzle, named K1, of size = DN80. It's annotated as PN10.

I have specified a differential pressure level transmitter on the tank, but the instrument vendor has indicated, that the lowest PN rating they can meet is PN40.
I was trying to verify if I can mate the instrument with the flange on the tank (PN10 vs PN40 for 80mm flange, dimensionally-speaking).

Can someone confirm, that having two different PN-rated flanges, but of the same dimension, will work?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DN80 PN10 & PN40 Flanges have the same dimensions. Note your pressure rating will be as per the lowest rating PN10.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

Escapades,

You are fortunate about this and it may not apply for different sizes. Above DN 80 they vary.

The PN40 flange is a little thicker at 24mm vs 20.

This excellent site allows you to see the different dimensions for different sizes and PN no.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hey guys,

Thanks a million for your responses.

The differences are subtle. I am looking at a valve now, where the piping spec indicated connection to be a raised face flange, PN 10.
The valve body is DN100. It's specified with a PN-10 flange, which, according to LittleInch's chart varies in almost every dimension. See attached snippets.

PN10_vs_PN40_Flanges_lmu3fe.png

Are we ok or it'll be impossible to mate DN100 PN-40 flange with a pipe's PN-10 flange?

I'm sorry, I've always been a little confused between ASME vs PN.

Thanks guys!

Do you have a copy of the EN 1092-1 standard? At this point, if you don't own a copy, this would be a very good moment to make that little investment.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Hi XL83NL,

Do you know what, I would have to check if I can get my hands on it - I do realize it's probably a good thing to have on hands, but for us, automation guys, it rarely becomes a necessity. These queries above are more once-off questions, that would allow me to educate myself further once I know I'm not completely off the rail here!

You're not OK at DN100.

They just won't fit without use of a 5lb hammer...

Don't do it.

Find an instrument which is supplied with a PN10 flange

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back