Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pneumatic Operated On/Off Ball Valve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka31

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2020
SG
In order to reduce the reinstatement time, we are planning to install the Pneumatic Operated On/Off Ball Valve prior to performing the Steam Blow. However, I would just like to check if there is any risk of damaging the Valve Seat if we leave it in the fully open position during the steam blow (I believe the valve seating surface will not be exposed)?

Also, would like to check if there will be other potential issues besides the valve seat being damaged.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are we supposed to know?

You tell us NOTHING about your system, it's design pressure and temperature, what the valve or seals are made of, what this mysterious "steam blow" is, so how can anyone offer any advice??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There is a lot of details and different mechanical solutions for a ball valve.

Problems for a ball valve for blowdown for steam will depend on construction, precision, materials and if the ball valve is intended and dimensioned for the temperature,pressure and flow. The pipelines layout and dimensions must be correct, drained for condensate, clean of impurities and valve operated precisely. If the valve is Left cracking opened cavitation might occur, and soft sealings be drawn.

If you use a correct dimensioned and built ballvalve supplied by a renown manyfacturor with longtime references you will be OK. Without the full checlist above (and more) cleared, and solutions selected by engineers not familiar with steam components, the chances of failure are higher than you like.

PS. Good valves, among them ball-valves,for steam blow-down are normally special valves (depending on pressure) an tend to cost more than 'common' ball-valves

Q: "In order to reduce the reinstatement time, we are planning to install the Pneumatic Operated On/Off Ball Valve prior to performing the Steam Blow.
However, I would just like to check if there is any risk of damaging the Valve Seat if we leave it in the fully open position during the steam blow (I believe the valve seating surface will not be exposed)?"

R: Anything above the valve rated pressure your taking a risk of damaging the valve.you can check with valve vendor.

Q: "Also, would like to check if there will be other potential issues besides the valve seat being damaged."

R: If there are particles inside the pipe there is a chance to deposit in the seat.if the valve is from a reputable vendor this will not be problem.we had a risk with one of our valves where air blowing has damaged the PTFE seat in the ball valve,vendor quality needs to be taken into consideration.

Well the OP hasn't bothered to log in since posting the question so I guses we'll never know. ..

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back