Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point load on a rectangular plate on spring (Roark-like formulation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdbd

Geotechnical
Sep 17, 2015
DK
Hi, as written on the title, I am looking for a Roark-like case explained in a simple way: "Point load on a rectangular plate on spring." So, the bending and shear calculation for the plate sitting on a soil represented by linear uniform springs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The easiest way to solve this problem is by applying FEM software. Another option would be to use Rayleigh-Ritz method for the Kirchoff plate problem with a suitable trial function for the deflection, but finding the function might be difficult.

PS. A slab resting on uniform linear springs is not an accurate model (nor necessarily a conservative model, even if you low-ball the spring stiffness) of foundation-soil interaction, which I assume you're attempting with this model. You would need to increase the spring stiffness close to the slab edges for the solution to approximately replicate a theory of elasticity solution. I suggest you read this:

The easiest way is not the way I am looking, I am looking for the function as you said in the second option. I'll have a look.
And without even knowing what I am doing, this out-of-shelf comment is just very interesting. I know how the springs work. Thanks for your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back