Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point load on suspended concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iqbal7

Structural
May 14, 2012
GB
We want to install a top hung movable partition wall/ door system on the top floor of a 4 storey school. We need a beam to hang the partition panels of around 300kg total and to support a stud wall above of approx 250kg. As the storey is partially in the attic with sloping ceilings we cannot support the beam on the external Walls and was thinking of a "goal post" arrangement with the beam supported by two columns either end of the 6 metre span.I would like to find out from the knowledgable people here if the slab is likely to be capable of taking the point loads from the columns. By the way the slab is around 200 mm thick in a school which is around 100 yrs old. Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on the many factors.

1.0 Is the slab a roof slab or a floor slab?
2.0 Is the area you are hanging from located at exit corridors above, the loads at exit corridors are typically higher than at classrooms.
3.0 How are is the slab spanning. Is it supporting other heavy items above such as mechanical equipment etc.

Typically you can hang misc. things from the deck above as long as it has sufficient capacity to support the loads that it was designed for and any additional loads that it is carrying.

MBR

The loads are quite small, what is the slab thickness, span etc.
you should just call a local engineer. we don't work out such stuff for people asking on an internet forum.
as you mentioned kg's I assume you're from Australia?

Nicam & MBR,
This is a floor slab (the requirement is to seperate the hall with a movable partion system)
There is no other heavy plant machinery load on the floor
The slab thickness is approx 200mm, the span is 6meters-
We just wanted to know if this was feasable, we do intend to use an enegineer if this goes ahead, also I post on this forum because I have recently developed an interest in structural engineering and this would satisfy my curiousity.
By the I am based in the UK

We are just wondering if the suspended floor slab can take the loads at the column bases:

The weight of the folding partition 300kg
The stud wall above the beam 250kg
Beam self weight approx 120kg
Two 2.4m high columns approx 100kg
Total Approx 770kg

Therefore there could be approximately 385kg of load at each column base. Is this feasable ?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back