Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

point mobility and sheet metal automotive parts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsebihk

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2014
how to go for designing parts like seat mountings ,rear panel floor,center panel floor so as to make them NVH compatible ? what considerations should be taken that so that point mobility of structure will be less ?? what factors should be kept in mind while designing the parts to make it NVH friendly ??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I infer from outside the industry:
{
I think seat anchors have to be designed for pullout resistance and fatigue resistance, but in terms of NVH and human factors, it's only important that the seats don't wiggle or squeak.

Floor pans are designed to be thin and hence cheap, and are corrugated and coated with damping material to minimize transmission of road noise and radiation of structural noise. Nobody cares how stiff they are, except that customers might perceive a noticeably flexible floor as flimsy. Actually, for unit bodies, the stress guys might like to see a little shear stiffness in floor pans, but that's not directly a NVH issue, except to the extent that everything affects everything else
}

I think Greg was trying to say that NVH is important in most/all automotive systems, to such an extent that it's impossible to condense it all into a handy checklist, or a few paragraphs, or a lot of paragraphs, or even just one book. You might want to invest in a few; start looking at sae.org .

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back