Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point on Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPM73

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2007
US
Hi,

I'm using AutoCAD 2012. How do I get a point on curve or arc point on curve or at midpoint?

Thanks

Jason M.
Unigraphics NX Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Group,

I also forgot... How do I make some of the lines & dimes reference lines or reference dims?

Thanks

Jason M.
Unigraphics NX Designer

Not exactly sure what you need...
If you want to "snap" to a precise point on the curve, you can use the "nea" (for nearest) running object snap. And "end" for end of arc, "mid" for midpoint of arc. If you need to snap to an exact distance along a curve, you can copy the object, change its length as desired with "lengthen" command, snap to endpoint.

Hi CarlB & Others,

Thanks for replying. I'm simply trying to take the center point of an arc or circle & alight the point onto a line, which I'm using as a center construction line or reference.

Also, I wish to make some line entities &/or dimensions reference. I'm accustomed to using other CAD systems which there is a simple command, such as "Make Reference" & the entity would be converted into a dash line or dimension.

How's this done within AutoCAD 2012?

Thanks

Jason M.
Unigraphics NX Designer

Hi Rollupswx,

Attach a file? I'm asking for AutoCAD 2012 command instructions or options.

I would think that AutoCAD 2012 would have some type of point & align options, change entities to references & number of other features.

Who know where these are & how they work?

Thanks

JM
Engineering Project Manager

Hi Group,

Forgot to mention - These are probably easy commands once known where to be found & how to use.

Thanks

JM
Engineering Project Manager

Use your OSNAPS and draw either a line, ray or construction line from the center of the arc which the OSNAP CEN will locate and pick another point with NEA command on the arc to make that line, ray or construction line. To make a perpendicular line to that new line move your UCS to that new line identified as object on the NEW UCS command, have ORTHO on and draw that new line.

As Chicopee said, learn how to use the OSNAPs. If you want to draw a line from the center of a circle to any point on the circle, type the following (<SP> = Space bar):

LINE<SP>CEN<SP>
Bring the crosshairs over the circle somewhere and a blue box or diamond or circle will appear. Click. AutoCAD has the center.
Then type:
NEA<SP>
Bring the crosshairs near where you want the line to connect to the circle. Click again.

There are a variety of OSNAPS:
NEA - Near to
END - End of
CEN = Center of
MID - Middle of
INT - Intersection
to name a few. There are more. If you will be working with AutoCAD 2012+ a lot, learn how to turn on "Running" OSNAPS.

As far as "Reference" lines or dimensions, I'm not sure what you mean.
If you mean non-printing entities only visible on the screen, create a layer for them and make the layer a non-plotting layer. If you go into Layer Manager you can make a New Layer. Do this in model space. In the Layer Manager there is a column that permits you to toggle a layer to be non-plotting. Click on the symbol in that column for the layer you created.

If that's not what you mean, please explain.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

As far as "Reference" lines or dimensions, I'm not sure what you mean.

The OP's experience is with a parametric modeler where dimensions are either driving or driven and geometry is either "normal" or construction (think of drawing board).

There are no 'reference' dimensions or lines as AutoCAD has all 'dumb' entities. They are defined not by relationships but by coordinates, and that is all. If you wish for things to not show up during plotting, they must be on a layer that is set to "not plot" which, in the layer dialog, is a toggle-icon that looks like an inkjet printer. It's either on/off.

The OSNAP answer is correct for everything else you need. OSNAPs are the glyphs you see in NX for 'point on curve' 'midpoint' etc. In AutoCAD, if you turn on OSNAP (There's a button at the very bottom of the application)

Here's the location of the button to activate OSNAP. Right click to pull up the menu to toggle /which/ OSNAPs are active (endpoint, arc-center, midpoint, nearest (which is point-on-curve for acad) and more): Here's a very thorough tutorial on OSNAP usage:
Hope that helps. I was the 'Autocad expert' in-house at my last company, and moved on to a company with modern parametric modeling (NX) which is much nicer.

Use the osnap toolbar. Right click on the top blank toolbar area, right click random blank area, select autocad->object snap. Now the toolbar shows up. Type line and click the midpoint icon on that new toolbar. And then click toolbar again of where you want to go, like perpendicular. Just another way to use osnap.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back