Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Points Patterned Along a curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

freerangequark

Mechanical
May 11, 2005
US
I have an ellipse sketch.

I placed a point 1" from the end of the curve. This is the pattern leader.

I need 20 points evenly spaced ON the ellipse starting from the pattern leader.

When I pattern the point using the "CURVE" pattern option, the points are laterally offset from the curve by 1". I need them on the curve.

What am I doing wrong? (file attached)

Thanks,
Glenn

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=14f8c057-d847-4bb6-970d-1fa296f78cee&file=ellipse_points.prt.1
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't open a CREO 3 file but from experience with older versions, you need to make every placement constraint for the point reference the curve to get the pattern to follow the curve.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Glenn,

Don't know if you manage to solve it. If not, divide your ellipse in the sketch so that you can place the first point on that position. Another way is to use "Use alternate origin" under Options in Pattern feature but you will still need a reference point from sketch in that position.

Curve pattern is a bit dodgy. It's quite common that you need to use alternate origin even thoug you referenced your shetch on the start point of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back