Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polyeurathane foam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddr8541

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2011
US
I need to speak with someone regarding polyeurathane foam. We are having a high rate of tears in our cushions and need some assistance. If anyone knows someone on here or otherwise please let me know.

Thanks
Todd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes but we are having problems with them. They are a very large company and not really offering any solutions. In the past we have relied heavily on our suppliers as we don't have any internal experts but we changed suppliers because the previous supplier is out of business. So we are looking for a expert to help us work with the vendor to resolve this issue.

Is the technician from the previous supplier available as a consultant.

My only caution may be the existing supplier my respond, if they know so much more than us, how come they are out of business and we are not.

Bayer Materials Science division may be able to help, or BASF. There are several others, but they change name, merge, get sold off etc so often I do not know current names. Huntsman and BF Goodrich where old names.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Is this a bun product, molded skinless, or integral skin product? We've dealt with a number of similar issues in various products over the years. Do you have any fabric or upholstery cover over the PU? What is the environment? Are there high cyclical load/unloads or surface shear loads?

In bun or slabstock, our issue was too light of density, it was just too "wimpy" of a material. Went to higher density and problem solved. In the integral skin process, there are a multitude of factors which will degrade the properties. Moisture, poly and iso out of proportion, mold temp (affecting skin thickness), old material (improper cure), etc etc etc.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back