Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polymer Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozo190101

Civil/Environmental
Jun 14, 2004
US
I am trying to size my pipe from pump discharge pumping dilute polymer. We do not want to use magmeters or flow meters on these lines. The pumps are positive displacement pumps.
Would polymer solutions follow Newtonian laws or fall under Non-Newtonian Fluids. Cause the Reynolds number I get indicates laminar flow. In which case then the static mixers would also be required in the piped discharge.

Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it's indeed dilute, it should be Newtonian. Is it a solution or emulsion? What's the viscosity? If you are using a PD pump, you may get enough mixing from the peristaltic (pulsating) action.
Question: How did you determine Reynold's number if you have not yet determined size of the pipe? Have you already determined your diameter and are wondering about length? Because you are using a positive displacement pump, your pipeline length will have little effect on the discharge flow rate. Theoretically, a positive displacement pump gives you a constant flowrate at any pipe length. It is "immune" to pressure drop. You just need to be careful because too much pressure drop can blow the seal of your pump if there is no PSV in place.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back