Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polymer compatibe with Carbonic acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmoul

Materials
Jun 20, 2008
FR
Hi guys,

all is in the titel: I'm looking for polymers compatible with carbonic acid, at temperature up to 100°C, and pressure up to 200 bar.

Do you have any clues where I can find litterature on this topic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many thanks for your help,

Concerning the 200 bars, we are still dealing with that problem. Here we will change the gaz environment, and want to be sure that there is no major problem with our machines.

I will check the charts.

many thanks for your help

200 bar at 100 deg C is a very severe test and will require a very substantial part. carbonic acid is soda water, not exactly all that corrosive.

Many plastics are progressively degraded by water at 100 deg C.

As a wild guess without near enough data, I think PPO or Noryl with high PPO and low styrene content might do if the part is easy to mould.

Polysulphone or PEI are other possibility.

PUD

Do you still require the info you enquired about on nylon. I have lost the thread so I no longer have the question.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Thanks guys,

In fact I'm checking if our actual technology is compatibe with CO2 compressing application. That mean, in case of water, formation of Carbonic acid.

So in a first approach, I tried to check data about carbonic acid compliance for all material used into the machine.

I'm looking for data on certain materials, and looking for other will be the next step as soon as we will decide the actual one will not be sufficient. It's quite easy to find litterature on carbon steels compatibility with CO2, but I have more difficulties to find documentation on polymers and electrical steels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back