Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polymer mixture - gallons to Lbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWTPOP

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2005
US
I have a mixture of 7.5 ml Polymer to 1 gallon of water. how do I calculate the gallons used into lbs? I was given the fomula of Polymer gallons used times .016 but that doesn't look right. In the case of say Alum, it is the gallons used times 5.4.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This should be a very easy conversion, but you have worded your query badly. You sometimes talk of "gallons of water", sometimes of "Polymer gallons" and sometimes just "gallons used". I cannot determine what you actually want to calculate. Also we do not know where you are - are you using US gallons or Imperial gallons?

Sorry. I am using U.S. gallons. What I should have asked was per gallon of water, what is weight of the polymer in the mixture? The more I look at it, the more it looks like the gallon x .016 may be correct. Thanks for responding.

If the SG of your polymer is 1.0 then 7.5 ml would have a mass of 7.5 gram. And 7.5 gram is equivalent to 0.016 lb so it looks like your number is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back