Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polymer Seal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlj

Materials
Sep 13, 2007
US
Hello All,

We have a UHMW seal that is currently failing when subjected to testing. When exposed to -40F the seal is not reliable. The seal works fine at higher temperatures (200F). I ran TMA on the new versus used seal and found the CTE to be about 30 points lower on the used seal. I am attributing this to material degradation from the thermal cycling, however would like some input if this would be the main cause. Additionally, open to recommendations on other materials to use. We are looking at carbon filled teflon also and saw worse sealing. The seal is part of a pump. We have checked dimensions and surface finish on mating parts. Thanks for your time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what you describe it could be thermal ageing but that can be prevented using the right antioxidant (i.e. stabilizer). Use a higher molecular weight one that will stay in the plastic instead of leaching out and use enough to be sure of stability i.e. 0.2 weight%. Best of all would be a combination of hindered amine i.e. Chimassorb 944

and Irganox 1330

Chris DeArmitt PhD
President - Phantom Plastics LLC

Consulting, ideas and training on plastic materials

UHMW what? PE? What is the fluid being pumped? What kind of seal? Is this a static seal, like an O-ring, a lip seal, or the secondary seal on a mechanical shaft seal?

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Yes, UHMWPE. Fluid exposure is DOT 4 brake fluid. It is a secondary seal on a mechanical shaft. We are also looking at changing the design to include a mechanical seal such that we are not replying on material properties only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back