Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polyurethane bonding and strength as concrete joint repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhardl

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2007
NO

I need to find a way to prove (or disappprove) that a proposed repair method with polyurethane for a damaged concrete joint is strong enough. (How do I evaluate the strength of PU, or the complete joint?).

The joint is an existing, damaged expansion joint in a parking deck supported on underside by two rows of columns. Previous repair ten years ago: joint and plates on both sides supported with steel -I beams between the two nearest columns each side. (Eg two beams, one 1/3 from inner wall, one 1/3 from outer wall, both transversal on joint).

This has proved 'strong enough', but we need to stop leakage in deck joint (exposed to weather) and propose to clean and bond with PU. Cost is an issue. We have to argue technically and prove that our proposed repair (along with beams) is technically OK.

If possible we want to avoid the more costly, alternative methode: cutting away plates compleatly both sides to at least a total of 300 to 600mm, re- armour, recast with concrete after strengthening bearing with opposite under and over steelplates joined with vertical steelplate to support the one deckplate on the other.

Proposed repair method to be evaluated/calculated: The joint is proposed cleaned an opened. To stop leakage and bond to repair mid part with polyurethane, after first clean away non-firm concrete. Over and under 'waterplug' (trademark mass). Rest of concrete pre-prepared with epoxy (for bonding) and cast with high quality concrete, leaving elastic mid-party in concrete for the expansion jont.

(Measures, guesstimate after cleaning:about max 300 mm total width upper side, say max 50 mm depth, then slimming down to minimum width to firm concrete in joint, say max 30- 70- 100mm, partially less, bottom partially width to 150mm, down to 30mm other stretches. Total thickness of deckplates about 250 mm)

Main bearing: existing I-beams.

Expected argument against: load distribution upper/underside of existing concrete plate armoring.

Note: I have tried this in another forum, and got appreciated help. The purpose of reformulated posting here is to get tips on the PU side.

If interest see last posting from me thread194-309665

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back