Pool cover attachment on roof with elevated pavers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnickeson

Structural
Apr 7, 2009
US
So this is a strange one...

I'm doing some of the work on a rooftop pool in a cast-in-place concrete building. The roof uses these pavers that are elevated 18" above the concrete roof surface. The pool wants to have a cover on it that has those straps at about 4'-0" o.c. or so. The manufacturer won't tell me what the design strap force is, so I'm designing it for the same minimum breaking strength as the springs which is 1,000 pounds service load. Anyway, those straps need something to anchor to. On most pools this is done by drilling into the concrete paving around the pool and inserting these 3/4"Ø brass threaded anchors (Link) . However, on our rooftop pool we only have relatively loose elevated pavers at the surface so we presumably can't anchor to those.

My only idea is to do an 18" tall aluminum pipe post with a base plate and four post-installed anchors into the concrete roof slab. The top of the aluminum pipe post would have a 2" tall aluminum block welded to it - flush with the top of pavers - that would have a hole drilled in it where they can place the brass inserts.

Has anyone else ever done something like this? Any other ideas? I imagine there will be several dozen straps on this pool cover, so that's a lot of aluminum posts to anchor and waterproof around. Seems like a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back