Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor liquid effluent control from thermal oxidiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ100

Chemical
Apr 16, 2003
US
I have recently tried to understand why our thermal oxidiser liquid effluent is out of specification.

Other threads imply poor control of the fuel viscosity gives poor atomisation. Will poor fuel atomisation also cause a poor burn of the waste feed to the incinerator ?

The fuel is fuel oil grade 250, (same as bunker oil i think), we burn an aqueous caustic stream containing (<0.5)% organics. Spec is to reduce organics to 10 ppb, we are currently producing upto 150ppb.

Thanks in advance for any advice you maybe able to give.

Russ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a rather good link to understaning fuel efficiencies in burners and the importance of viscosity control:

However, what you describe sounds similar to black liquor use in paper mills (or Pine Pitch fuel). Here it isn't just the viscosity which is important but also the density.

I know that both Nametre and Solartron Viscometers have excellent results in these applications, the Solartron also measuring density.

If you have any other information you can post, it may help.

JMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back