Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Populating assembly via Pro/Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

lind5496

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2006
US
Alright, here is my situation. We provide containers with various shelving/rack configurations depending on the customers needs. We have ~25 different variations of the shelving and racks that can be put into the container. We currently are using another program to determine the total number of racks that can be fit into a container, as well as where they would be located. What I would like to do is create a way for Pro/E to auto-populate these shelving and rack units into the container. I know the dimensions that the installed units need to be away from a skeleton of the inside of the container, but do not know how to place them. Is there any way that this can be done?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can do this but without knowing all specifics it'll be hard to give you an exact process.

In Pro/Program you are not really placing them. You are essentially turning the display of them (supress/resume) based upon some input criteria or result from a function.

You really have to sit down and figure out all the underlying logic in your design. If your design is static, it will help things tremendously. You are going to create a bunch of if/then statements in Pro/Program that matches the logic of the design. In other words, if the interior height is 20 units and you need to have 3 horizontal suppports equally spaced that is what you display. Even though you may have in your master assembly model 5 horizontal supports assembled.

Key here is to figure out a way to code the logic into Pro/Program. Pro/Program itself has to be set up so it works properly. You will want to review the documentation on that.

Sorry for being so vague. What I'm essentially saying is yes, it can be done.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back