Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Porosity Check in HPDC AL blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CstgCurious

Automotive
Nov 5, 2008
US
The application is high pressure die cast aluminum engine blocks. We perform x-ray checks on sections of the casting to check for gas and shrinkage porosity in critical leak path areas. A large effort is being placed into moving this porosity with parameters and design, but the cost involved in this x-ray examination process is heavy. Castings must be cut in order to get a good x-ray image around the steel liners. The cost is incurred both in cutting blades(going through steel and AL) as well as internal scrap.

Could anyone recommend another practice that would be non destructive yet still define exactly where the porosity is located?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our supplier used to X ray his LPDC aluminium wheels. I'm not sure if we specified that X ray was the method, I suspect so.

However I have heard of gravity cast wheels being checked via a leakage method, that sounds less destructive and more relevant than X rays, but of course you have to have finished machining the area before you can test it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Yes, we run casting computer simulations as part of a daily routine. Been in production for 6 months - still fairly new and working out the bugs.

We perform leak tests as well, but we do not leak until machined(as you stated above). This is machined at our customer, therefore external scrap if it is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back