Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable Flow Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuchyns

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2001
CA
I am going to purchase a portable (battery-powered, fits in the trunk type) flow meter/datalogger for recording flows at pumping stations, reservoirs, and watermains accessed via underground chambers. Typical diameters are 600-1800mm (24"-72") at v's up to 2.5 m/s, with reverse flows a definite possibility out in the system.

I'm thinking of going with an insertion meter(either mag or turbine), as there isn't always room to use a clamp on in some of the chambers.

Can anyone who has had experience in field flow measurement using portable meters give me a heads up on what to look for, what their experiences have been, and what products do or do not work well?

Thanks,

Jeff Buchyns
City of Toronto Water Supply

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jeff!

If affordability is not a problem mag flow meters are good choice, for they can also detect reverse flow conditions. Generally mag flow meters come with minimum 15 turn down ratios. Sizing of the meter is very important. Incase of mag meters if your conductivity is morethan 5 microsiemen/cm you can use mag flow meters. If you have specific questions I will try to answer.

Regards, Even the hardest of the problems will have atleast one simple solution. Mine may not be one.

To measure flow in pipes using current technology quite tricky sometimes. To buy insertion type is good but please make sure it will work for all your location before you buy it. Insertion normally works good for gravity flow. I hope you just need only one type of portable flowmeter.

good luck.

SeaMetrics has a good insertion turbine, battery powered.
1-1/2" pipe thread insertion.
Lithium battery lasts around 5 years by our experience.
Sapphire bearings allow accuracy down to about .3 feet per second by our experience and by specifications, which is much superior to many insertion paddlewheel or turbine meters.
Very simple programming, entry of K factor, units, etc.
Digital display.

Homepage for SeaMetrics: Model TX201B-04 is the turbine, FT-415 is the battery powered display.

We sell them if you want one.
rn@irrigationcraft.com

PUMPDESIGNER

Jeff,

You mentioned that reverse flows are a possibility. Do you want to measure the reverse flow?

As far as technologies go:

1. Mag meters are going to be extremely expensive at the very large pipe sizes. They will work well however, and are a good selection.

2. Transit time ultrasonic flow meters are probably the best choice and will give you the best bang for your buck at those sizes. The only problem is as you stated, if you don't have the room to clamp on the sensors, it can't be used.

3. Most insertion paddlewheel or turbine style sensors (including the one listed above in a different post)are not able to be used in pipe sizes greater than 36".

4. Target style insertion meters may also be a possibility.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back