Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

POSITIVE CRANK CASE VENTILATION & EGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro_kru

Mechanical
May 14, 2021
CA
Can the diesel engine have both positive crank case ventilation and Exhaust gas recirculation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Certainly. Millions of automotive and other light-duty diesel engines built in the last couple of decades have both. I've owned a couple examples built by VW over the years, which had both.

(These two things serve completely different functions - what would make you think they were incompatible??)

@BrianPetersen
Thanks for responding.
I didn't see that its incompatible but I have come across either EGR or PCV in engines, so, was curious to know.
I am dealing with FPT engines and see that it has PCV but they are saying they are achieving NOx reduction without EGR in Tier4 engines.

Does the engine have SCR ("selective catalyst reduction" a.k.a. "urea injection") - does it require the use of DEF "diesel exhaust fluid" / "AdBlue"?

EGR is a technology that is used to reduce NOx emissions. SCR is a technology that is used to reduce NOx emissions. Various modern engine designs may use one or the other or both. It is possible for an engine to have the effet of "EGR" (exhaust gas recirculation) without having explicit EGR hardware ... you can cause exhaust to get recirculated into the next engine cycle via cam timing trickery.

Hello Brian,
Yes, it is having SCR system with 43ltr urea tank. By any chance can you refer me any diesel engine with EGR and PCV?

tHANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back