Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

POSITIVE MOMENTS IN ETABS DONT COINCIDE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePowers

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2021
CO
Thank you to everyone who can do one replay and help me with this doubt

I have an ETABS doubt...

Why the positive moment in center of beam showed by analysis (Show Tables) is different than design positive moment showed in Beam Section Design of program. You have to know that I've checked minimum moment relations M/2 and M/4 but without success. I've checked that station and combination are the same, and although they coincide, they are still different in positive moment value in center of beam. I don't know what it could be.

I'd appreciate your help!! Excuses for my poor english!!

Thanks again!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I'm not wrong, it could be due to pattern live load factor defined in program by default. See if your issue is resolved by assigning a pattern live load factor of zero in design preferences.

Yes!! Thanks Blackstar!! Trouble was solved. Thank u very much!!

However what is that called "Pattern Live Load Factor"? How this value modify my results?

It will consider a patterned live load as per your code, basically this means [live] load on alternative spans and not on others for example. This will typically result in either the maximum positive or negative moment at midspan or supports respectively for a continuous beam system.

Most codes require a designer to explicitly look at this to capture the worst case peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back