Possible Lightning Strike. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickyeng

Electrical
Feb 24, 2021
US
IMG_20210429_092947_ubjt1q.jpg
After a heavy and stormy rain, 5 of our circuit breakers from two different circuit damaged. How can we be sure that the damage on the Circuit Breaker was due to a lightning strike? Any reference on any book?
IMG_20210429_063842_tlmkox.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If not a lightning strike, what could otherwise have damaged them?
400 Amps is nothing compared to a lightning strike around 30000 Amps.

Best Regards A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

There where 5 that failed at the same time.
I would pick them a part and look for what is broken and measure them if it isn't obvious.
But if the lightning can break that amount of equipment at the same time there is something missing to protect the installation from lightning strikes.
ABB makes quality products so I doubt it is a manufacturing fault, unless they where newly installed, then anything can happen ;-)

/A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

I see small dip switches implying additional circuits (electronics) associated with the circuit breakers. The main energy discharge of a lightening strike also creates an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) that can damage nearby electronics. The plastic enclosure will not shield the electronics from the direct effects of the EMP.

It may be that one circuit breaker took the direct hit, and nearby breakers were taken out also.

The only way to protect against a lighting strike and the consequent surge that it produces is by a Surge protector and Class C lightning rod. To put things in perspective, a lightning strike produces a surge current of the order of 20-100KA for a few Micro seconds. The CB's are not designed to trip such surges as their reaction time is too long. A three phase Surge protector with a metal oxide indicator would also provide a visual indication every time a surge has happened.

Seems to me it would more likely be a voltage surge from a lightning strike that would do flashover damage (and it would damage EVERYTHING in the circuit, not just a portion.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back