Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible simple question re: extrude limits (NX5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdp240

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2005
US
Where are the default values for the start and end distances stored? I have no idea how the current default values were established, and I'd like to change them. I skimmed through preferences and customer defaults but didn't find anything.

TIA

WinXP-SP3 / NX5.0.4.1 MP6 / Catia V5r18 / NX I-deas 5.3.0.14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Extrude Start and End Limit defaults are not user settable. For Metric unit parts, the original system defaults are 0mm and 25mm, and for Imperial unit parts, 0in and 1in.

Note that once you start making changes to these values, the system, via the Dialog Memory scheme introduced in NX 5.0, will remember and retain your last values set until you change them again, or you select the 'Reset' button at the top of the dialog, which will return the dialog settings back their original OOTB values.

Also note that unless you have disable this in Customer Defaults, the system will automatically retain the values of most all dialog entries not only for your current session, but will also retain the last used values when you launch your next session of NX so in reality the original default values become irrelevant once you realize that what is being shown to you are the actual values (and option settings) as you yourself used the last time you executed that particular function.

Therefore, starting with NX 5.0, the values of the Feature Parameters (as well as most other option settings) seen in most NX dialogs ONLY represent the system/customer default values when you launch NX the first time after installation or whenever you explicitly 'reset' a dialog. In all other situations, the parameter values merely reflects your last usage of that dialog.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks, John. I understand that the system retains the values from my previous session, however, they don't appear to retain whatever my last entry was. Instead, they revert back to what I can only guess is the first values I used on my first extrude after installing the software. For instance, my defaults are currently set to 0.8mm and 8.5mm, but if I create an extrusion with 0mm and 4mm as my limits, then save, exit, and start up again, the default values return to 0.8 and 8.5 instead of remembering 0 and 4.

It's a minor inconvenience, though, so I'm not worried about it. I was just hoping there might be a way to set them myself.

Thanks again.

WinXP-SP3 / NX5.0.4.1 MP6 / Catia V5r18 / NX I-deas 5.3.0.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back