Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Possible to convert 2D sketch to 3D model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebase131

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
US
Hey guys,

I have a 2D drawing dimensioned as a 3D part in the sketch toggle, but no 3D model made. Is there an easy way to have KeyCreator convert the 2D drawing to a 3D model? Is that possible?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

-Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question is confusing. Not sure what you mean by “sketch toggle”. Do you mean Layout mode or wireframe? There is a 3D wireframe to solid converter under tools but it has limitations. If your 2D drawing is just that, a flat view of 3 or more sides of the part then a solid model could be made but not easily. There is no automated way of doing it.

I have a sketch in layout mode that is dimensioned for a 3D part despite obviously being 2D as it is in layout mode. Just wondering if there is some relatively easy way to convert that to a 3D part given that it is properly toleranced/dimensioned.

I thought some modeling programs could do that with the click of a button, but I may be mistaken as it has been a while, and I am pretty unfamiliar with KeyCreator.

Very simple example: Say I have a 2D sketch of a 3D cube in layout mode, without actually making the 3D part beforehand. Dimensions and views are created for 3 sides of it, so in theory it should be possible for the program to take those givens and run with it and make the cube itself as a 3D part without having to re-sketch and make the cube myself. I could see why this would be much more difficult for complicated shapes, but don't see why it would be impossible.

Again, thank you for any help you can give on the subject.

-Eric

Layout mode is just that, for part layout not sketching. Normally you create your 3D model in model mode then open layout mode to dimension your part. Layout mode will automatically create views of the part created in Model mode. Sketches made in Layout cannot be viewed in model mode, at least that’s the way I understand it. So start in Model mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back