Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post-tensioned vs. pre-cast parking garages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedge

Structural
Dec 10, 2002
US
I have to generate a letter to a state university system comparing the advantages and disadvantages of post-tensioned cast-in-place parking garages vs. pre-cast parking garages. The purpose of the letter is to facilitate the university in choosing one of the two systems for a new 630 space parking garage. I need to generate the letter this weekend. I have the following:

Precast - lesser construction cost, long term maintenance costs higher, less freedom in layout (use local precasters typical bay sizes), need for shear walls or K-walls for lateral force resisting system
Post-tensioned - more open feel, less surfaces for migratory birds to nest on, costs for crack repairs due to restraints against elastic shortening, concrete frames resist lateral forces so no walls to hide crime.

Does anyone know of a web site that makes a comparison between precast and post-tensioned parking garages?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, precast/prestressed has many advantages over post-tensioned. The security issue concerning walls has been addressed by using openings in walls, etc. For a resource web site use
Even better would be to call the PCI Technical Director at 312-786-0300. PCI staff are very friendly, professional and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back