Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post-tensioning around bearing pedestal

Status
Not open for further replies.

skewl

Structural
Jul 27, 2021
CA
Does anyone have an idea why the below post-tensioning detail was added during construction?
Capture2_jb4hev.png

We found the post-tensioning strands broken. However, it has been like this since 2017 and as far as I know not much has changed to the bridge. We are going out to take a look tomorrow.
SE1_-_West_face_4_aflbha.jpg

Potential reasonings:
1. Someone found insufficient resistance in the column to resist lateral movement and detailed a quick fix during construction. Note: Bearing A has no lateral restraint capacity while Bearing B does.
Capture2_yttmxb.png

2. Insufficient shear capacity at the edges of the column and therefore the need to install two new bearings.
Capture2_djzedz.png

3. Crack development during construction.
4. Transverse forces in the concrete deck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you're on the right track as far as the potential cracking. It looks like possibly a seismic upgrade, especially if those extra bearings in the middle are attached to the slab and pier.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

So the presumption would appear to be that A and B are too close to the edge of the pier. Looking at the drawings, it feels that way to me.

I think if it was a seismic upgrade, the Powers that Be would have demanded a surrounding "box" of concrete and re-bar up there. The fix, while clever looking (AND it failed), doesn't look like it would be acceptable to PtB.

spsalso

Seismic isn't a big deal in my region so I haven't really thought about it. But still worth a look from my end.

I live in SF Bay Area, so I see seismic retrofit a lot. This doesn't look like what I see.

But.

If someone somewhere else thought they'd give it a try, I suppose they might go with this.

I wonder if there's enough re-bar INSIDE the pier top to tie those cages together. Do you think there is? And then there's the lap length. My uninformed self would have liked to see full-span lengths of rebar connecting the cages, maybe with some bent ends.

spsalso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back