Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Weld Heat Treatment as a PQR Essential Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynopepticman

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2002
US
I have noticed a difference among certain codes regarding welding procedure qualification and post weld heat treatment as an essential variable. Some codes, such as AWS D15.1 state that any "addition, deletion or change" to PWHT requires requaification of the procedure. Other codes such as AAR M-1002 state that a "change" in the postweld heat treatment requires requalification.

Am I reading too much into this or does the M-1002 allow addition or deletion without requalification ? To me addition and deletion are also a change, but somebody at AWS obviously went through the trouble of writing what they did in AWS D15.1, I assume for a reason. Or maybe not.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "CHANGE" in Usual codes would mean addition and deletion of PWHT to a qualified procedure requires Re-Qualification of the procedure.

However, the statement in AWS D15.1 has gone further in my opinion in that it means any change in temperature to that qualified would require re-qualification. This is perhaps justified in that the PWHT temp should be at least 20-25 degrees Centigrade lower than the tempering temperature for the case of Q&T steels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back