Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Posting diagrams online from standards and books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischstabchen

Electrical
Feb 17, 2021
US
This is something I have run into though I don't really agree with it. I understand posting a standard or reference material is out of bounds. I don't feel that is the same as posting a diagram from a standard or book and referencing it. It feels the issue is such a grey issue due to the fact that and I have seen this in papers, that people just recreate the same diagram or graph themselves and don't even reference where it came from. If I go by the bar set by the rulings for fair use in the Googlebooks case, it appears that everything is fair. I see large corporations use diagram from standards on their websites and white papers What is fair use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought the limit was 10%?

Certainly one page or part thereof when it is also referenced is perfectly fine as far as I know.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The "fair use" law is a bit nebulous:
Nevertheless, in most cases, snippets that are relatively small compared to the totality of the source material can probably fall under "fair use" unless the snippet is overwhelming important in the context of its source. That said, for technical writing, getting permission and proper attribution is just common courtesy, if nothing else.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back