Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Posting Helical Milling with G2/G3 Motion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FG4608

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2009
US
Is there a way to get the post to output helical motion with the G2/G3 words where a 'Z' word indicates the pitch?

Ex;

G2 X1.0 Y1.0 Z-.5 I-1. J-1.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clarification!

The 'Z' word does not really indicate the pitch, but instead the actual Z-level at the finish x,y coordinates...

That is just normal helical output. Nothing special about it.

You need to do a few things to make it work.

In the post;
You need to import a custom command into the post to allow helical output.

Add the "PB_CMD_helix". You don't need to add this to any event... It just needs to be there.

Also make sure that the "Z" word is added to the circular move event. By default it IS, so unless you removed it, it will be there.

In your operation, you need to check that in "machine control" the output is set to "Circular-Perp to TA"

Thats it. Should work.

J

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=427d927c-f357-450d-aca9-9166a343c40c&file=helix.JPG
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Thanks Jaydenn. I love simple solutions...

One follow up question though?

I'm not sure where it is you are telling me to set the ourput to "Circular-Perp to TA". Could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks Beforehand!

Hi Jaydenn,

I tried to import this PB_CMD_helix from custom command directory, after import it is not listing inside the custom command list as you showed. Do I need to set any other thing to use import option. No error messages after import.
Using PB 5.0.3, please need help, Thanks
Raj

Raj
NX 5.0.6

Thanks for the reply,
I tried using postbuilder 3.4.1 to import custom command there was no problem, it displays an additional dialog and I could choose ok to import that custom command.
Now my problem is in postbuilder version 5.0.3 unable to import any of the available custom command, Is any one face this kind of problem in postbuilder 5.0.3, please help me.

Raj
NX 5.0.6

I am on PB6.0.2.1 but have used 5 and as I know I imported commands in it but I don't think I was importing init_helix. Aas far as I know there wasn't a problem with importing commands in that version, but then again I was really green last year when I was using 5. Oh wait I still am pretty green. LOL. Anyway are you just clicking import in the custom command area? It should come up with a browser window to browse to the command. Maybe someone else knows more about this problem. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back